[argyllcms] Re: Gamma wrong for calibration curves?

  • From: "William Wood" <william.wood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:12:22 -0500

> How are you determining that the gamma of the display after
> calibration is 2.0 ?

Haha!  Well, first off, the display darkens when the profile is switched in
(using ACDSee),  but to confirm that I used dispcal -r, VERY quickly
reloading the calibration curve in (using DisplayProfile) every time
dispcal switched the color patch.  (It would be nice if there was a dispcal
flag to measure the display as calibrated!)

Here's the uncalibrated display result:

I:\Util\Argyll\profiles>..\bin\dispcal -v -d1 -yl -r -p .5,.5,2.0
Setting up the instrument
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc to give up, any other key to continue:
patch 3 of 3
Black level = 0.29 cd/m^2
White level = 133.65 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.19
Contrast ratio = 461:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3317, 0.3510
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 5535K, DE to locus =  7.3
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 5536K, DE to locus =  3.2
White        Visual Color Temperature = 5352K, DE to locus =  7.0
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 5464K, DE to locus =  3.1
The instrument can be removed from the screen.

Here's the calibrated display result:

I:\Util\Argyll\profiles>..\bin\dispcal -v -d1 -yl -r -p .5,.5,2.0
Setting up the instrument
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc to give up, any other key to continue:
patch 3 of 3
Black level = 0.30 cd/m^2
White level = 132.47 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.01
Contrast ratio = 442:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3328, 0.3508
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 5490K, DE to locus =  6.6
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 5491K, DE to locus =  2.4
White        Visual Color Temperature = 5327K, DE to locus =  6.4
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 5439K, DE to locus =  2.3
The instrument can be removed from the screen.

You can see the gamma changed from 2.19 to 2.01 with the calibrated
display.

- Bill