[argyllcms] Re: Fwd: Simple how-to on camera profiling

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:30:17 Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
> If scanin can't autodetect the target, the quality of the target shot
> is highly questionable, and so will the profiling results be.

I have taken lots of images of test charts under lab conditions here, and it
happened quite often that scanin either could not detect the target properly,
or was off by a little (often by one patch row or column). This also has got a
lot to do with what's around the target. In photography it's a lot more
difficult to get that right than with scanners.

In the cases where the target was not matched at all, or incorrectly, or just
with some inaccuracy slightly too high, finding and passing the fiducial
points has helped a lot. And the results of profiling were not really of
inferior quality.

Having said that, of course the single biggest aspect for ensuring good
profiling quality is to have a properly illuminated target. So curvature
matters a lot more than angle, just as you must try to avoid glare.

Just my two cents on this,

Guy

--
Guy K. Kloss
Institute of Information and Mathematical Sciences