[argyllcms] Re: Fwd: Simple how-to on camera profiling

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 16:13, Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think that your profile and my custom one are so
>> close that it requires a calibrated output device to see which is most
>> true and I don't have that at the moment. They are not the same,
>> though.
>
> On my display all four are radically different.
>
> The main difference between yours and Pascal's seems to be that yours is
> clipping the whites while Pascal's is scaling them. But there's lots more
> going on: in Pascal's the bag is fire-engine greenish yellow; yours is lemon
> yellow. There are similar shifts elsewhere in the image.

Well the "bag" (actually a vest) is yellow and not greenish and it
felt like the rest of the colours were a bit more accurate in the
custom profile, however I didn't dare to say that without a calibrated
monitor. The small roof prisms are almost red with a little hint of
orange but they looked a bit more orange to me with Pascal's profile.

The clipped and scaled whites that you talk about, isn't that a
difference in the raw converter rather than the profile? Could it be
that we have different default rendering intent in the profile? I'm
not sure I understand what would make that difference.

/ KJ