[argyllcms] Re: Fwd: Simple how-to on camera profiling

  • From: Karljohan Lundin Palmerius <karljohan.palmerius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:13:36 +0100

>>> Having said that, of course the single biggest aspect for ensuring good
>>> profiling quality is to have a properly illuminated target. So curvature
>>> matters a lot more than angle, just as you must try to avoid glare.
>
> Maybe you have a sample file to share?
>
> Anyway, in a previous post I attached a ready to go 350D profile, did
> you try it?

I collected a few coloured items (one with both florescence and
reflector) together with the QPcard201 and took a few pictures. I have
tried your profile, with white balance against a grey patch on the
target, my own customized profile following the how-to, the camera
default JPEG output and the "standard" profile that came with the
camera. I've put all four resulting images plus the original raw file
on my website.

http://palmerius.se/public/2010-03-20-photo-sample

The camera default output is just crap, but that's probably because I
had no way to perform white balancing - it is set to automatic WB. The
"standard" profile is off in many places and that was the original
reason for me to put together the how-to. Hard for you to know how the
colours are supposed to look, but the two top cups are supposed to be
red and orange. I think that your profile and my custom one are so
close that it requires a calibrated output device to see which is most
true and I don't have that at the moment. They are not the same,
though.

/ KJ