[argyllcms] Re: Feature request: test window with no borders

  • From: Peter Karp <qmailing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lee scratchy <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:58:47 +0100

> apparently this i1 is faulty.

> it's giving a greenish picture with ARGYLL and the Gretag app, and when
> I check back with the s2 there's a lack of blue.

It's not that uncommon to hear about problems like that. I don't know
how many i1 Displays (or with similar problems i1 Pro Rev. A or B) will
give readings which are "totally off", but there seems to be a batch
and/or a problem with aged devices or just random single faulty i1.

The test program from X-Rite will only test if the device is working
properly, but can not tell you if the measurment is o.k. (filters
could have aged for example...)

If you look around you'll find that _some_ i1 Displays will cause a
calibration with greenish shadows and somewhat magentaish lights --
you see that clearly in an artificial gray ramp (displayed
non-colormanaged).

Please note that this statement _does_not_ mean that the i1 would be a
bad device in general. Most users are working with good success with
i1 Display 2 or an i1 Pro (especially the current Rev. D). Also a one
day test at the germany PMPF last year showed that i1 Pro readings are
near to reference devices like Minolta CS-200 and CS-1000.
Unfortunatelly there have been too few colorimeter samples to make any
meaningful statement. I hope we'll get the chance to make a wider
comparison of devices which are used "in the field" later.

Unfortunatelly there's no way for an end user to check the accuracy of
his device. But when you have a good hardware calibrated display
looking at a grayramp you can find out if the device is not
consistent/coherent in itself. Also comparing the softproof to a good
proof-print will show you larger problems at least.

Best regards
Peter