[argyllcms] Re: Explain what happened

  • From: Milan Knížek <knizek.confy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:52:22 +0100

Leonard Evens píše v Út 02. 12. 2008 v 14:02 -0600:
> I assumed on the basis of what I thought I  understood that the
> calibration part, i.e., loading the video LUT was irrelevant and that
> the profile would be made under the assumption that it would do all the
> work.   I then told gimp that TargetA.icc was the monitor profile.  But
> that had no effect whatsoever on the colors that gimp put on the screen
> in an image window.  So I tried

To test Gimp's funcionality, open some image, go to Edit / Preferences /
Colour Management and try changing the monitor profile (say between your
TargetA.icc to some wide colour space like AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB or
WideGamutRGB). The displayed image colours should immediately update
(and be different) on changes even without confirming okay. (At least
with Gimp 2.6.1 in Ubuntu 8.10.)

The reason why you do not see a difference in image with or withour
colour management in Gimp, might be that your TargetA.icc (the
calibrated LCD) is kind of close to sRGB standard - hence visually no
obvious difference with CMS on/off.

P.S. As Graeme wrote, before using your profile, you should update the
LUT. Recent version of VCGT loaders (xcalib, dispwin) also set the xicc
atom in X.org and as a result you can use Gimp's functionality to get
the monitor profile automaticaly (tick "Try to use the system monitor
profile" and do not need to manually set it). Another apps, which use
this xicc atom is Eye of Gnome, UFRaw, Krita, Inkscape.

best regards,

Milan Knizek
knizek (dot) confy (at) volny (dot) cz
http://www.milan-knizek.net - about linux and photography