[argyllcms] Re: Display of iMAC

  • From: "edmund ronald" <edmundronald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:30:23 +0200

 In a single-user context one has more latitude to construct a
color-managed system. If the iMac is the only display,the white point
settings aren't critical as it doesn't need to match any others as
regards luminosity or color temp. Furthermore, if you don't happen to
own a color-stabilized light-box, then the precise color temperature
of the white point of the display is -in my personal opinion- a matter
of preference rather than necessity.

 Of course, you would profit by leaving some white or grey borders
around your images when viewing to allow your eye to adapt to the
white point of the display.

 I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flak for the above non-orthodox advice :)

 I would of course agree with Ben Goren's recommendation that the iMac
should be run at minimum brightness. I would measure and then attempt
to profile it at the native color temp and minimum native brightness
in order to give the profile itself maximum bit-space to correct for
the invariable non-linearities.

 By the way, a couple of cheap clip-on Solux lamps might make a good
complement to the iMac, giving you a decent viewing light for prints.

Edmund