[argyllcms] Re: Direct matching between two displays

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:08:15 +1100

Roger Breton wrote:
> I always thought that only a spectroradiometer would be capable of yielding
> the best physical match. But even there, I'm not convinced that it would
> indeed be perfect. It might be very good to me? It might be perfect for me,
> or acceptable to me but not acceptable to you or not very good according to
> somebody else?

Yep - observer metamerism can be an issue in practice, especially noticable
when more than one person is viewing something. It applies to instrument matches
too though -  an instrument may be perfectly calibrated against the standard,
yet a perfect instrument match may look like a mismatch to you, because your
eye's color matching curves are different from the standard!