[argyllcms] Re: Different approach to profiling?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 19:12:19 -0700
On 2007 Sep 4, at 1:38 PM, Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:

> On 9/3/07, Ben Goren wrote:
>
>> 1) tiffgamut -v -c md ProPhoto.icm Flattened.tif
>
> icclink: Warning - Image gamut is wrong colorspace for link (Lab
> != Jab)

Sorry 'bout that --  I realized I had left out  ``-i j'' from that
line  when  I tried  to  follow  my  own instructions  later  that
evening. As Graeme  has already pointed  out, you need  to specify
the Jab color space.

One other  gotcha: If you tell  Argyll that  the image is  in some
color space than  the one it's actually in, or  if you specify the
worng output  profile, you might  get a print that's  mostly right
but  with some  weird artifacts. That  seems to  be an  especially
likely occurrence  if you're  working first  thing in  the morning
after the  cat woke  you up too  early after you  went to  bed too
late....

And, yes, you'd ideally want to create a gamut map for every image
you want  an especially high-quality print  of. Otherwise, you can
get still-darned-good prints for all  images using the same source
and destination space by not specifying the gamut. The result will
be  a linked  profile  that skips  the  multiple extra  conversion
steps, but it won't be ``extra optimized'' for the range of colors
in that particular print.

If  you're a  photographer who's  already gone  to the  trouble of
using Agryll in the first place, chances are excellent you'll want
to do  the gamut  map bit,  at least for  anything you  consider a
finished print. If you're  some other kind of  graphic artist, I'd
suspect that a simple linked  profile would be exactly what you're
looking for  for all but  your most critical jobs. Of  course, I'm
sure many people on both sides  of that divide would disagree with
me,  with  most suggesting  that  you've  gotta  be nuts  to  type
anything on a command line in the first place....

Ah, well. Their loss.

Cheers,

b&