[argyllcms] Different approach to profiling?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:19:32 -0700

So, the whole  thing with manually adding neutral  patches has got
me thinking.

The  standard approach  to generating  test patches  makes perfect
sense for  the general case: you  have no idea what  colors you'll
wind up  printing, so you want  some sort of even  distribution of
colors to make sure everything gets as close as possible.

However, as a photographer, none of my photographs actually has an
even  distribution of  colors. Usually, just  a few  parts of  the
spectrum predominate. And black  and white is just  a special case
of that -- the colors are  tightly bunched along the middle of the
Lab volume, rather than clumped in a couple areas.

What I'm thinking  of to better address  profiling for photography
would require two things (which, for  all I know, might already be
possible to do with Argyll):  the ability to generate test patches
from  an image,  and  the  ability to  merge  chart readings  with
earlier ones after the fact.

You would  start with a  profile built the  same way as  is normal
today.  Then,  when you wanted to  make a high-quality print  of a
particular image, you'd create a chart tuned to the colors used in
the image,  print it,  read it,  and generate  a new  profile that
includes the original data as well as the new data.

Over  time, you'd  wind  up  with a  profile  built  from tens  of
thousands  of samples,  all  drawn from  the  actual images  being
printed. Plus, you  wouldn't have  to spend the  time it  takes to
create a profile from such a large sample set all at once -- after
all, adding  a few minutes to  the time of making  a special print
isn't that  significant, but spending  an entire day  creating and
reading a dozens-of-thousands sample chart would be most annoying.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers,

b&