[argyllcms] DeviceLink Profile refining

  • From: "marcel nita" <marcel.nita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:54:31 +0200

Hello all,

I have tested device link improvement many times. I am using an Epson Stylus
Pro 4800 and EyeOne Pro with Contract Proof Paper and the IT8 target.

As the input profile I am using ISO Coated and the printer profile was
created with Profile Maker.

The results are always the same: the white point and yellow are increasing
after the first step( the other primaries and other ink combinations are
really improving ).

Basically, the process is:
  - print the IT8 target ( with the device link profile );
  - measure the target;
  - create the abstract profile( using a previous correction profile if not
the first step );
  - re-create the device link profile using the abstract profile: ISO
Coated -> Abstract Profile -> Printer Profile.

Could you please tell me if there are there any known problems with refining
or if you have an explanation for my results? I do not expect extraordinary
results from the process, I do not expect it to do magic things, but I think
at least they shouldn't that get worse.

Also, in tweak/refine.c, in function PCSp_PCSp(void *cntx, double *out,
double *in), would it be correct to test(something like dE) the new
correction and the compund correction against the corresponding target
reference data just to see which is getting too far from reference? Then the
correction with the smaller delta will be considered( think it as a way to
ignore the previous abstract profile for certain patches, that are getting
worse ). I am still not sure if this approach would be correct, so it would
be very helpful if someone can correct me if I am wrong( preferably Graeme
:) ).

Best regards,
Marcel.