[argyllcms] Re: DTP94 problem

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:42:36 +1100

Fabrizio Levati wrote:
Now the question is: is this enough to think the colorimeter is working
properly? Since I doubt that, do you know of any command that I can run in

I'm surprised it doesn't reject the instrument because of the
error code from it.

ToolCrib shell to test the instrument? As far as I can see, nothing seems to
indicate malfunctioning in ToolCrib...

Interestingly, on looking through the source code, it seems that this exact
problem
has been reported once before, in October 2006. It may be a firmware checksum
problem, and would hint that X-Rite have a rare but systematic issue in this
area. It appears that the error is only reported on reset, so if the driver
ignores errors on reset it can continue.

The source code I came across attempts to read and then write the offset drift
calibration value, in the hope that 1) the read value is valid, and 2)
that writing it will make the error go away.

In <http://www.argyllcms.com/spotread94fix.zip> is a MSWin version of
spotread that has the fix code in it. If it detects an offset drift error
it conducts a dialog to ask you if you want to write the offset drift
value back to the instrument. (For reference, the offset drift value
of my DTP94 is 0.124420. If the read value is valid, I'd imagine it
will be similar).

If you dare, you can run this and attempt to fix your instrument. (But
I can make no guarantees it won't make things worse!)