[argyllcms] Re: Correction for wide gamut screens and/or RGB-LED?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:20:00 +1000

Tobias Schula wrote:
So, using a colorimeter for _calibration_ is useless and I'm forced to calibrate by sight?

It appears that colorimeters are of limited use with wide
gamut monitors.

But _profiling_ should give me consistent results using colour management aware software?

The calibration and profiling software processes are not affected
by the inaccuracy of the instruments (ie. nothing changes
in the way the software performs), they simply take the
numbers they are given. Naturally if the instrument is
being noticeably inaccurate, you won't get a very good
result.

There are only two approaches to fixing this type of problem:

1) Get a colorimeter that has been calibrated for the type of
   screen you have.

2) Buy a spectrometer like the ColorMunki.