[argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki measurement drift

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:26:29 +1000

Juergen Lilien wrote:
But the problem remains, that the agreement between monitor (preset)
and ColorMunki constantly degrades after the first reading (without
acclimatization time) even with self-calibration.

I did a simple test using my ColorMunki and a CRT based monitor.
I've had the instrument taped to the one spot, and the display
and instrument powered up for some hours. There was a noticeable
amount of drift over the first fairly constant. Using
spotread, the error to a reading taken as a reference once the drifting
had finished remains under 1 delta E, and averages about 0.5 delta E.
The smallest error is less than 0.1 delta E. Recalibrating does not seem
to affect this.

[I'd guess that the variation in this case is due to the lack of synchronization
between the CRT refresh rate and the instrument integration time.]

This indicates that the instrument is relatively stable after acclimatising
to a particular situation (ie. there is no inherent drift in the instrument,
unaccounted for by it's operating temperature.)