[argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki :- Good news and Bad news

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:38:39 +0000

Hi :)

Graeme Gill wrote:

Thanks to all those who have contributed donations, there has been
(just) enough to purchase a ColorMunki Design, so I now have something
to have a play with over Christmas :-)

That's great news :)

The consequence of this is that writing a driver will be no straightforward
task - it's basically similar to starting from scratch again with the
Eye-One Pro :-(

So the Pizza Fund still needs donations ;)

Instead you get to download 130Mbytes of software over the internet
per platform (Took me just under two hours).

Ouch.

The software has some sort of copy protection scheme that limits
installation to three computers. Where the installations are registered
(ie., in the instrument ?)

Oh man, let's hope not.

 Given that the software isn't particularly
useful without an instrument, it's also a puzzle why X-Rite
have gone for this scheme.

Perhaps they don't want people "gigging" with the ColorMunki - i.e. using it to calibrate clients' equipment on-site, preferring that an instrument be bought specifically for (or by) the client?

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson