[argyllcms] Re: Color laser printer profiling

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 03:51:08 +1100

Klaus Karcher wrote:
Frédéric Mantegazza wrote:
At work, I can print on 2 color laser printers; a Dell, and a Canon. Both give very bad results [...]

Is there a simple way to profile them? I have a low price scanner, which can be use for that purpose. Could I use the same technic as for ink jet printers? Do you have recommendations?

I worry that using a scanner to profile a laser printer will work even worse than it does for an inkjet printer. Laser toners sometimes cause strong metameric failures. What your scanner "sees" might be very different from what you see because of different light sources.

It shouldn't be a whole lot worse, although it depends a great
deal on how the scanner used "sees" the output of the laser printer.
I did some of the initial testing of the "scanner as a poor man's colorimeter"
on a laser copier, but I made use of the copiers scanner, which was
probably made to give reasonable results when used with it's
own prints.