[argyllcms] Re: Camera Profiling using ArgyllCMS

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:04:33 +1100

Hal V. Engel wrote:

UFRAW is based on DCRAW and the DCRAW code base is very widely used. For

Ah yes - I had the misfortune of attempting to make some changes
to DcRaw to try and get it to spit out 16 bit depth TIFFs with
independent control over the gamma. Not the best organised or
architected source code I've ever come across... :-)

example, I know that the raw conversion code in recent versions of Photoshop are based on DCRAW. So this is likely the best guess at what a "typical" raw conversion looks like. Like Graeme I am not certain that this is the best approach to using ICC profiles during the conversion process but it appears that many of the raw conversion programs are really not designed to use ICC profiles as part of the basic conversion process. In addition I am not sure that current targets and profiling processes are suited to creating profiles that could be used earlier in the conversion process.

Seems a good summary of the situation. The Adobe approach is probably
not a perfect model to follow for Raw processing with ICC profiles, since
they have their own views on how to apply profiles, and it is one that
involves more than one profile being interpolated between as part of
white point adjustment.

I understand that Adobe's DNG raw processing source code is available
from their web site in the form of a DNG SDK.
ie. see <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/dng/dng_sdk.html>,
so it is possible to study their approach in some detail.