[argyllcms] Re: Calibrating display in VMWARE

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 02:35:36 +1000

Olivier Marchetta wrote:
I see that dispcal will use dispwin for some operations before calibration,
but the video card in VMWare seems to be very basic, it cannot be accessed
properly for that ? (guessing)

It seems that it doesn't make the VideoLUT (RAMDAC) accessible (pretty
typical of current VM's I suspect), so calibration isn't possible.  You
should be able to profile though, using targen/dispread/colprof.

VM's seem to be very oriented around server operation rather than
workstation/desktops, and they don't seem to bother with the details
such as VideoLUT access or even appearing properly to the various
operating system enumeration functions.