[argyllcms] Re: Black turning down problem - help!

  • From: Elena [service address] <1007140@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:18:26 +0100

Hello Klaus

On 10-Jan-2011, Klaus Karcher wrote:
> Graeme Gill wrote:
>> It's only a likely behaviour if the black target curve is monotonically
>> increasing (which needn't be the case), and adding black ink
>> make the output darker.
>
> I guess this is essentially the assumption made by PM's black generation
> algorithm: black is forced to be smooth an monotonically increasing ...
> often at the expense of gamut in dark areas.

That is pretty the same I was telling/suggesting in the other msgs, said
better :) I.e making -k having this behavior, user responsibility at
expense of gamut, and -K the opposite.

Yes I know the question: so why don't I stay with PM ?

1) argyll gray shades are more smooth and less bumpy than PM, given a
   same used target for profiling. Even if argyll under some unlucky
   circumstances can generate bumps in the darks.
2) with argyll I can measure a strip long even 50 cm and patches as little
   as 8x6mm with my i1 pro and a custom ruler. With PM I simply can't, and
   I'm restricted to bulky charts, wasting paper and time (at least, if
   is there some trick I don't know!)
3) with argyll I can tweak parameters and I'm not limited to some basic,
   unchangeable programmer's choice
4) argyll is open source and free, and the author takes care of user's rants
   or suggestions or bug reports (and if one really wants, he can put his hands
   in the source code too).
5) the effort of Graeme and/or whoever else decides to start a so complex
   project is considerable and unvaluable.

...so that nobody can tell I'm just reporting problems, bugs or moans :)

/&