[argyllcms] Re: Best way to proceed?

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:46:19 +0100

Hi,

Ben Goren wrote:

I don't think that'll help me. When I've adjusted curves, etc., in Photoshop to get the ColorChecker close to spot-on, the wood hasn't gotten any closer -- it's just shifted to other equally-worng colors.

Another possibility which springs to mind. How about creating two profiles, based on a target in the image, before and after you've manually adjusted the image to get the wood right.

In theory, you should then be able to link from one to the other to create a transform that will duplicate your manual adjustments, which you can then apply to the other pieces.

It's not as straightforward to do in practice, unfortunately, because input profiles don't have reverse tables (Is this a feature of input profiles in generally, or Argyll's in particular?).

I think the second profile will have to be generated as an output profile, which means editing the .ti3, changing "INPUT" to "OUTPUT", changing "XYZ_RGB" to "RGB_XYZ", swapping the first three columns of values with the second three columns, and adding an extra patch with RGB=100,100,100, XYZ=suitable white point - just to test it this end, I used 82, 85, 75 - which is the white from one of my printer profiles. Oh, one other thing - increment NUMBER_OF_SETS by 1.
This sounds complicated, but it's fairly easy to do in a spreadsheet.

Again, I can't predict how accurate or useful this approach will be - just thinking aloud once again ;)

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson