[argyllcms] Re: Best way to proceed?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 19:41:14 -0700
On 2008 May 31, at 6:00 PM, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:

Is there any hope of doing this colorimetrically?

Just a thought - if you have a spectro, can you take readings directly from carefully chosen points on the artwork itself, then sample the corresponding RGB values from your photo? (After blurring or otherwise averaging the relevant points in the photo)

It's easy enough to augment an Argyll .ti3 file with additional measurements.

I've wondered about that...but the grain patterns are pretty small, and there's a lot of subtle variations. I'm not sure how to line up the samples. Does the i1 itself average the reading of everything that makes it through its aperture? If so, I suppose I might be able to punch similar-sized holes in some paper and sample and shoot through that...but, again -- would all that work get me something as good as I can get by eyeballing it, or will I still need to tweak things?

Cheers,

b&