[argyllcms] Re: Best way to proceed?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 16:36:45 -0700
On 2008 Jun 2, at 6:59 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

Ben Goren wrote:
Because of the confines of the space I'm working in -- my parents' garage for the large works, and my apartment kitchen for the few small ones -- I don't have much (any, really) room to move the lights from a standard 45o setup. I can, however, adjust the ratio of the lights. I've played around with it a bit already, and I think it'll significantly enhance the results. The one I've posted samples of probably needs about a 3 - 1 ratio, I think.

I'm only theorizing, but I would imagine that to bring out the directional aspects of the timber, you need some highlights. Uniform lighting will tend
to show timber at its most dull, given the nature of the grain.

You're right, but it's hard to do. These works are finished with either linseed oil or wax (or occasionally both). Especially the ones with wax have a high gloss surface which is gorgeous in person, but causes all sorts of hot spots when photographing them.

In addition to the square-on documentary shots, I'm also taking some close-ups, both square-on actual size crops (to show grain) and wide- angle off-center (to show dimension). In those I'm being more adventurous with the lighting, and only trying to keep the hot spots from getting obnoxious, rather than eliminate them entirely.

Thanks again for your help and advice. I think this project is back on track, and will turn out quite good.

Cheers,

b&