[argyllcms] Re: Best way to proceed?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:27:16 +1000

Ben Goren wrote:

But I fear this is ignoring the elephant in the room -- that is, wood's dramatically varying color with changing light angles. It's what makes wood do beautiful...but it also would seem to make it impossible to (accurately) photograph.

I wouldn't say it's about accuracy - with some effort you can accurately
record the image the camera captures in a color sense. What the camera doesn't
capture is the same experience a human observer has when moving around and
viewing such objects, since it's only recording the light from a single
direction. A better reconstruction would require capturing more of the light
field, something that at the moment takes rather specialized equipment and
processing, and is hard to reproduce.

I would assume that one of the things photographers get paid for, is to
figure out how to best to capture such difficult subject, working within
the limitations of what a camera can actually do. I'd also guess that the
arrangement of the lighting would play a big part in this.