[argyllcms] Re: Awful result with Argyll 1.3.5 + dispcalGUI 0.8 + i1Display Pro & Dell U2711 :-(((

  • From: Paolo Avezzano <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 12:56:48 +0100

I've tried a couple of different profiles. The LUT + MTX seems to have a bigger gamut, very close to the one I got with i1Profiler, however, while keeping a grey ramp on the screen and switching from profile to profile within the OS X Display's Color profile window, non of them is satisfactory: some show bad grey neutrality and other just do not show any detail in darker tones.
The i1Profiler ICC, however, seems to be almost neutral and smooth as it should be, which is very strange as it seems to me that i1Profiler lacks any iterative grey neutralization while Argyll CMS very well does.

Now the questions are:

1) Is the i1Display really fully supported? I mean, also the luminance values I got from dispread and i1Profiler are quite different with the samle Brightness value set on the display.
2) Is it enough to switch profiles from this window below or should I use dispcalGUI/dispwin to load correct curve/gamma values in the graphic card? May it be an explanation for the lack of precision on neutral patches?

Regards,
Paolo

On 08/gen/2012, at 00:38, Paolo Avezzano wrote:

Thanks Fabrizio,

  based upon your experience, which one is better for wide gamut displays? Is it a table or matrix profile?
I'd really prefer to get it via a LUT, but the Lab LUT is often out of gamut, as told by Argyll during profile creation.

Regards,
Paolo

On 07/gen/2012, at 11:59, Fabrizio Giudici wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 08:37:42 +0100, Paolo Avezzano <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I bought a wide gamut display and a very good colorimeter to build a LUT profile, if possible.
I do not find the -ax setting (XYZ LUT + swapped matrix) to be quite robust. Almost every single Argyll CMS tutorial I read advised to do so.
With my MacBook Pro display it did a nice work, but now the Dell gamut is only slightly bigger than my laptop one, and that of course cannot be true.

Do you have any other suggestions?

My approach is to generate four kinds of profiles, and then pick the one with the least error.

  $ARGYLL_BIN/colprof -v -qu -ni -no -ag -O "$BASE_NAME gm.icc" "$BASE_NAME"
  $ARGYLL_BIN/colprof -v -qu -ni -no -as -O "$BASE_NAME sm.icc" "$BASE_NAME"
  $ARGYLL_BIN/colprof -v -qu -ni -no -al -O "$BASE_NAME cLUTlab.icc" "$BASE_NAME"
  $ARGYLL_BIN/colprof -v -qu -ni -no -ax -O "$BASE_NAME cLUTxyz.icc" "$BASE_NAME"

Actually -ax works for the MacBook Pro LCD, but I have a problem too with the external monitor (see my other post). The latests news is that I seem to have fixed it even with the -ax, but I'll give details later when I'm sure.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."