[argyllcms] Re: Awful result with Argyll 1.3.5 + dispcalGUI 0.8 + i1Display Pro & Dell U2711 :-(((

  • From: "Philip Reed" <philipreed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 14:32:29 -0500

I'm not surprised that Argyll and i1Profiler report different white points
despite the same input parameters.  It's anyones guess what is going on
"under the hood" of i1Profiler.  But that's a question for programers as I'm
no expert.  I agree that the measurement should not be software dependent,
but certainly see how it can be.

The white patch changing over time speaks to a different issue.  Electronic
or system "drift" is a very real phenomena.  Particularly with CRT displays,
but LCDs are also very prone to this especially if they use flourescent
lamps.  Output and color temperature will increase as they warm up.  Voltage
fluctuations will also have a noticable effect.  I never calibrate my
display until it's been on for about an hour.  Even after that it will drift
a bit in either direction.  The change in white point is very visually
noticeable.  A one hour difference is not a short amount of time, especially
if the device has just been turned on.

A shift in temperature of even a few degrees can also have a profound effect
on a colorimeter or spectrometer.  That's why I pre-warm the instrument and
use drift compensation.  It makes the process much longer, but I get very
consistent results.

Regards - Phil