[argyllcms] Re: Awful result with Argyll 1.3.5 + dispcalGUI 0.8 + i1Display Pro & Dell U2711 :-(((

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:28:40 +1100

Paolo Avezzano wrote:
>    do you have any link with a test on this?

There was some discussion a while ago on this list. Adjusting the secondaries
(CMY) to be an additive combination of the primaries (RGB) proved to
be fiddly, and not very sucessful (matrix profiles fitted poorly).
There were hints that the RGBCMY transform the display was applying
was clipping the gamut.

> I just made a XYZLUT+MTX profile and everything is quite good, except for:
> - global greenish hue

Compared to what ?

A purely subjective impression isn't much value I'm afraid,
since our visual system is so quick to adapt to various
influences outside the display itself.

If the white point hue doesn't match 50% gray, then that's a problem
that bears investigating.

If the whole response is far from daylight/black body, then this
indicates a problem with the instrument absolute accuracy.

> - far from neutral darkest grey patches

Note that the default for LCD is not to adjust the black end for
neutrality, so as to preserve the best possible contrast range.
You can fiddle with the crossover rate between the corrected
neutral and black using "dispcal -A rate". Try something like 8.0
to push the correction closer to black.
You can also have correction go all the way to black by using
"dispcal -k 0.0" (or some in-between value), but your contrast
ratio will suffer. In theory you could also change your white point
to better match your black point, but the visual result may not
be desirable.