[argyllcms] Re: Argyllcms 1.0.1 packaged in fedora-devel

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Frederic Crozat wrote:
>
>> Well, who said we introduced a bug in Argyllcms ?
>
> Have you tested with an Eye-One pro ?

No, I don't have one.

> And while you may have patched your libusb, the source code
> has to defend against others who have not.

When I read this, I have the feeling you don't want your software being easily
available to millions of Linux users out there. Too bad :(

>> I made sure to contact people who had issue with your first patch on
>> libusb, when I tried to integrate it in cooker some months ago.
>> Fortunately, those issue were corrected so I integrated your patch in
>> our cooker libusb and I had to disable your ugly code check in
>> argyllcms (which, btw, is wrong, since unpatched argyllcms running on
>> a  non-argyllmcsified libusb will not even be started, since a symbol
>> will be missing (and you won't see the "expected" error message).
>
> As intended, but it also picks up a similar issue with the MSWindows
> version at run time.

I'm not interested in Windows (or MacOS X), since we don't have any
control on the "platform".

>> I still think it is extremely ugly to do this kind of hack, without
>> any previous warning to distributions like us. I discovered this while
>> packaging argyllcms 1.0.0 and manually diffing your patched copy of
>> libusb with a "upstream" libusb.
>
> You were warned, last time we had this discussion. You wouldn't
> see this issue if you used Argyll as released.

Sorry, but my goal is to create a "clean" platform, where this kind of
hacks are not needed. If you were distributing a patch of your change
on libusb in your tarball, at least, we wouldn't have to hunt after
those changes.

On Linux, we (collectively) have the possibility to "fix" the
platform. I can understand why you are not interested
in improving the plaform, but don't blame people who want to do it.
And it would be nice to not make it harder to
fix it.

--
Frederic Crozat