[argyllcms] Re: Argyllcms 1.0.1 packaged in fedora-devel

  • From: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:23:35 +0200

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 08:21 +0200, edmund ronald wrote:

> I'll be distributing my package bundled with an OS as a virtual
> device. People like VMWare or Xen earn their living by ensuring that
> this big virtual device package still runs on the host system,
> whatever changes Frederic and Co make to the host system.

I'm sure you realise that only shifts the problem under another carpet.
In fact at my corp where we are deciding our virtualisation strategy
right now, the consensus is to force a platform jump at least every 3
years (ideally 18 months), and anything that requires a specific vm is
queued to /dev/null.

The great fallacy about virtualisation is that creating a gazillon of
different vms is easy, but paying people to manage a gazillon of
different vms isn't.

--
Nicolas Mailhot