[argyllcms] Re: Argyllcms 1.0.1 packaged in fedora-devel

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:47:07 +1000

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Anyway, some packaging notes. I've applied:
— V1.0.1_patches.txt (not easy to find, not referenced anywhere)

It's just temporary (for those who want stuff fixed) until it gets
merged into V1.0.2.

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/argyllcms/argyllcms-1.0.1-printf.patch
  This patch had already been submitted but some parts haven't been
  merged by Graeme yet

No, it's never been brought to my attention (although something similar was
changed in cgats). It's pity the gcc people don't fix their bug instead of
forcing application writers to work around it though.

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/argyllcms/argyllcms-1.0.1-remove-libusb-fork-check.patch
  Why oh why do we have to do this? I Notice Mandriva had to do
  something similar. As we said before if there's a specific problem in
  libusb report it and we'll get it fixed

It's to make sure that Argyll works. If you're not using the provided libusb,
it almost certainly won't work with certain instruments. While I attempted to
get upstream to change libusb to fix the threading problems that crop up with
the i1pro, I don't think they have done so or have any plans to do
so since they want to "fix" it in the next, unfinished, incompatible
libusb V1.0. So unless you are prepared to patch your libusb and test
it with all of the supported instruments, please don't repackage
Argyll in a form that is probably broken. How do you propose
to fix the bug you've introduced in your version of Argyll ?

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/argyllcms/argyllcms-1.0.1-legal.patch
  While most sane countries (mine included) do not recognize software
  patents, there's no need to wave a red flag before patent lawyers.
  (esp. since cameras are now used instead of scanners).

I made many changes along the lines suggested in the last patch of this nature,
and that is it, I'm not prepared to make yet more that degrade the clarity
of the documentation.

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/argyllcms/argyllcms-1.0.1-19-color.fdi
  This includes Graeme's last changes. I'm not sure if a blanket ACL for
  serial devices is good, if Devid Zeuthen complains I'll drop it

It's not good, but serial instruments don't work without something like this,
and it's not clear that there are any better general (ie. not end user specific)
solutions. Perhaps you are in a position to install it such that the permissions
are only changed for Argyll, rather than all applications (ie. create an Argyll
group etc. ?)