[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS and Gutenprint

  • From: edmund ronald <edmundronald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 00:54:49 +0200

Actually Quadtone is partly GPL, because the printing part is
Gutenprint. The rest is shareware.

Real "arty" B&W is usually in fact achieved with Duotones (two colors)
which are highly tailored to an inkset, and thus I would strongly
recommend you look at Quadtone RIP which already has the hard part
predefined

As Alastair points out, Gutenprint can be very nicely color managed
with Argyll; a bunch of people use it this way, there is no big
difficulty apart from setting up the media and print options, and
Argyll is a very good RGB profiling package. Alastair make Photoprint,
which I believe can handle all the color management specifics.

I'm sorry, I won't talk about my own workflow here as it involves a
number of experimental tools, and proprietary packages. But I'm quite
certain that Argyll can effectively profile RGB print processes, and
I'm equally certain that Gutenprint can produce very good output.

Edmund