[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.1.0 RC1 is now available

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:16:11 +0000

Hi,

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

And I tend to agree - when the "gamma" value is getting too large then a
wedge with a linearly spaced steps in device space is possibly no longer
optimal for characterizing the response wrt. a perceptual metric.

Yup - but to my mind the bigger problem is that such a gamma adjustment means ink coverage is no longer directional proportional to input value, which means ink limiting becomes a very hit-and-miss affair - printing, say, [80,80,80,20] could well become [32,32,32,1] when printed - a patch the CMS believes will have an effective ink coverage of 260% ends up being only 97%! Needless to say this has major implications for the gamut of a profile created for such a print path.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson