[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V0.70 Beta 7 test now available.

Side question: I'm pretty new to Argyll, how can I create an ICC profile from the dispcal readings (cal file)?

Short answer is you can't, it's a separate couple of steps
(Argyll's a bunch of tools).

Look in doc/Scenarios.html#PM2 for an outline of the procedure.
Basically it is 1) Create test points, 2) Read their value 3) make
profile.

OK, I just did all steps and have the ICC now. Compared to another profile I created a while ago with the Spyder2 software, I like the one Argyll created more - both have quite different white points.

I just want to understand better why so many steps are needed to get the ICC: dispcal took lots of readings, and as the name says calibrates the display. Couldn't the .cal file directly be used to create the ICC file? Or am I missing something.

I created a matrix profile, I do not understand why I have to specify another icc profile in order to create a LUT based profile.
For a LUT based profile, where gamut mapping is desired, then a source profile will need to be provided to define the source gamut. For instance, if the display profile was likely to be linked to a CMYK printing source profile, say "swop.icm", then the following would suffice:

Could you please explain me what this does.

Mark