[argyllcms] Argyll CMS as a spectroradiometer

  • From: Jeremy Pronk <jeremypronk.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:05:24 +1100

I'm investigating the possibility of colour managing high dynamic range
image inputs for visual effects. The work is based on the paper
"Characterization for HDR Imaging".

What I am looking for is a system to read IT8.7/1 target patchs and output
CIE XYZ values for further calculation. There will be two targets on a
lightbox with considerable dynamic range between them. As far as I can see
Argyll is suitable for this but I'm not sure which consumer probes are
suitable. The colorimeters seem to handle more dynamic range than the
spectrometers. Do I require an emissive chart reading probe or would a
display probe be suitable? Is it possible to calculate absolute luminance?

The paper can be found here,
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.151.6187

Cheers, Jeremy