[argyllcms] Re: Anybody successfully using a DTP51 with Mac OS X?

  • From: "Karl Heinz Kremer" <khk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 22:18:29 -0400

Yes, my device has very old firmware. I'm trying to update it with the
latest version that's available on the X-Rite web site - so far
without success. The uploader does not talk to my device either... No
luck under WinXP, Win98's dos shell or Freedos.

Karl Heinz

On 7/1/07, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:

> icoms: Write_Read called with 'GI^M'
> About to write 'GI^M' ICOM err 0x0
> icoms: Read called
> icoms: About to return read '<01>' ICOM err 0x0
> icoms: Read returning with 0x0
> icoms: Write_Read Write_Read success, returning '<01>'

That's rather strange. The interface manual lists 'GI' as a valid
command, and as having no possible errors, yet a
"Bad Command" error is returned. Perhaps you instrument has very
old firmware ?

I can code it so this error is ignored, easily enough.

> With some debugging, I figured out that if I let the software continue
> in line 241 in dtp51.c instead of returning ev, I can actually read
> all my color patches.

You would get the same effect by simply omitting the -v flag
from the command line.

> There seems to be something wrong with how the return value is
> determined after sending the "GI" command. I have not yet looked
> deeper into the code to see if I can actually fix the software.
>
> Does X-Rite (or now Gretag) have an API spec for this device that's
> freely available? I checked the web site, but did not find anything.

It's not freely available, although they have been generous enough in
the past in letting interested people sign up as a "Parner", and
making such documents available.