[argyllcms] A question about viewing gamma (dispcal)

  • From: Anders Torger <torger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:18:23 +0200

I'm a bit confused by the gamma features in dispcal.

I'm not 100% sure I got this right, but gamma target in dispcal does not
seem to matter (apart from being nice or not to the screen), since when
you run dispread for profiling gamma will be applied and it gets into
the profile, and is then available to the color managed applications,
which will compensate for it.

So if the color managed application wants viewing gamma 1.0 (which I
guess is what one should expect?) and the image has 2.2 and screen 2.4,
it will compensate.

However, what puzzles me in all this is the long gamma discussion in the
dispcal docs and the various options to adjust it, for example by
ambient light measurement, if it will not have any effect in the end.
How is this meant to be used?

Another way to put it - if I know I need a viewing gamma of ~1.2 to
compensate for a unusually dark viewing conditions, what do I do?

Should you first generate a calibration and profile .icc without any
gamma compensation, and then run dispcal -u on the .icc using a new
gamma?

/Anders