[argyllcms] Re: 16bit CMYK tiff

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 11:42:30 +0000

Hi :)

rik wrote:

> did I miss anything or is the only way opening the
> file in PhotoPrint and print into a file? - (I am in search for a command
> line
> tool)

I know it's overkill, but PhotoPrint does have a batch mode which might
help you out here.

What I'd do in this situation, I think, is this:

* create a new preset using the "Manual Size" layout (because that
layout outputs images directly instead of scaling and resampling them to
fit the page)

* Set the printer queue to a custom command such as:  "cat >/tmp/out.ps"

* Set the Manufacturer to Adobe and the Model to PostScript Level 2

* set the colour correction to "Uncorrected".

* set up margins,  printer options, etc,

* In the Colour Management dialog, either disable the printer profile
and set the colourspace to CMYK, or set both the printer and default
CMYK profiles to the same profile as you'll be using for your images.

* Save off that preset

Now you can invoke PhotoPrint from the command line, like so:
photoprint -b -p /path/to/preset-you-just-saved image.tif
You should now have a postscript version of your image in /tmp/out.ps or
wherever you asked the custom print command to store it.

Please note, however, the image data in the PostScript file will be
8-bit, not 16-bit; Gutenprint's PS driver currenty reduces the image
depth to 8-bit, and as far as I know the maximum depth possible in
PostScript is 12-bits per channel.

Hope this is some help.

All the best
--