[arachne] Re: Pop3 mail from directory

  • From: Jason Dodd <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:57:19 -0500

Not if you REALLY need MS.

  Nobody REALLY needs MS.  ;-)
You do if your paying customers send them.

It's a myth that open office or libre office are 100% compatible. They just aren't. If your business really needs to exchange MS docs with outside firms, you really need MS office.

  I found exactly the opposite.

Takes all of about 5 minutes to find unacceptable incompatibilities if your documents have any complexity whatsoever.

  I never found any unacceptable incompatibilities in business use.
Apparently I didn't deal with anyone who thought complexity was a virtue.
Formatting inconsistencies abound. This important if you need to to send MS docs and presentation counts. Lot's of things that work in excel don't work in calc. It's really not even close to being acceptable in shops that need to exchange lots of MS files accurately.

It's truly just a fact. Nothing to debate. So I won't. Google 'incompatibilities between MS office and libreoffice'.

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --