[arachne] Re: Pop3 mail from directory

  • From: "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 19:36:19 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, December 2, 2011 4:14 pm, Ron Clarke wrote:

>   Depends on what you mean by "standard internet surfing".
>
>   We seem to need different things from the internet. I find Arachne is
> good for avoiding some of the nuisance that comes from a lot of
> javascript, which is often just advertisements and eye candy. Same with
> Flash.

I suppose a working definition of "standard internet surfing" might
be what ordinary users expect to be able to do routinely without the
intervention of special knowledge acquired through years of tinkering
with layers of programs and fundamentally complex procedures.

What the ordinary, non-technical user would be able to do with XP
and Firefox without any particular special knowledge. Banking, shopping,
making travel arrangements, reading newspapers, watching videos, attending
business webinars, Facebook, Skype, and so forth. This is a lot more
than "eye candy and advertisements". It is basic functionality of
"standard internet surfing" to have javascript and SSL.

Sam Ewalt