[arachne] Re: Change to way outgoing messages are sent.

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:29:47 +1030

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 05:54:38 -0400 (EDT), ewalt@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Read further, Wizzy. The proposal was to have *both* an Outbox
> for messages to be sent later and a "Pending Box" for messages that
> are not yet completed and ready to be sent. Only after they were finished
> would they be sent to the Outbox. He was asking for two seperate
> boxes--one for finished mail ready to be sent and another for
> mail that was not yet finished.

> This proposed scheme seems unecessary to me as it is easy enoguh
> now to only send things when they are finished and it hardly seems
> worth the trouble to add this.

For one of the new breed who are always online there is no
problem, as each message can be sent off immediately it is
finished with, by using the Send mail NOW button, or sent to the
outbox if it is desired that it be held over.

But for someone on a dialup service who does not want to remain
online and tie up the phone for any longer than necessary, it is
more convenient to send the finished messages to the Outbox and
then the next time he is connected, to click on Send Unsent Mail
to upload them all as a block.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere that unfinished messages can be
held other than the outbox.

My friend does not find it easy to send just those messages that
are completed, leaving the others in the Outbox for later
additions, as this requires that he open each message separately
and visually check that it is one of the finished ones before
clicking on the Send button to upload it and then passing on to
the next message.

I must confess that on occasions I have uploaded a block of
messages forgetting that it included one I hadn't finished with.

I can certainly see the benefits of what he is asking for.

.   ,-./\      from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  /     \     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v     homepage http://users.tpg.com.au/gmone/index.htm