[arachne] Re: Arachne and Open Suse?

  • From: Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:07:05 -0600 (CST)

Hey Sam,
I figgered I should explain VTs. You prolly will never need them but here goes. At a Linux console, you can change user or login multiple times as the same user, by pressing the meta key, such as ALT and a function key.
If you login, then press ALT+F2 at the console, you will get another
Terminal to login too. Useful if you have problems or are an obsessive
multitasker. In a GUI press CTRL+ALT+F2 and again will get a login. You
can have a console and GUI going at the same time. The GUI will on most
distros be at F7. Console will USUALLY be F1 thru F6. To login to more
GUIs, at F2 give the command-
'startx -- :1', third GUI, 'startx -- :2', and so on. Good for problems
without rebooting. Some users like me keep an extra user on hand to login
to, in case the regular user does a FUBAR. If you are one of those people
who spent years being trained and conditioned by Microsoft DOS/windo$e
to think of software use by their standards, and have never gotten past the total N00BIE stage of running as Administrator, or Root, then disregard the above info. Please try to never network or use the internet
as root. I've seen too many M$ N00Bs get rooted and never have a frikken
clue that they have a rootkit installed on their system. BTW I'm glad you
found a distro that works for you, SuSE is a very solid system, not to my
taste but obviously to your's. Also Ron gave you good advice about Sylpheed. I use it when in a GUI. There are at least two forks, but I
think plain old original Sylpheed is best.
Rob

 On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Sam Ewalt wrote:

Vt's????

YMMV?????

Oh, your mileage may vary. Yeah, Suse installed without any problem
whatsoever with all kinds of goodies and a slick KDE interface that
runs perfectly with Firefox and an Open Office variant all installed
and ready to go. I know next to nothing about Linux.

What I'm really looking for is a simple email app that will take
a text file email list without it being converted to some sort of
database file.

Like the way Arachne would take a file with one email on a line and
then send email to the list.

I like Arachne because I'm familiar with it, having used it for years
and I basically hate new software with thousands of feature I don't
need.

Any ideas?

Sam

On Tue, January 18, 2011 7:46 pm, Rob wrote:

Hey Sam,
What Ron said! Aside from that, I have DOS Arachne running in
dosemu on my Slackware box. It takes about one second to go
from Linux to DOS that way. I just switch VTs. Dosemu is a bit
of a misnomer as it's not really an emulater, but rather a
Virtual Machine. I compiled mine from source, but the binary
version is quite easy to setup. Run whatever DOS you want to
install, M$, DrDOS, OpenDOS, FreeDOS or whatever. If you want
to try it I recommend FreeDOS as it is light years ahead of the
old proprietary DOSs. One problem tho. Newer Arachne versions
have something wrong with them, where they don't like dosemu or
FreeDOS. Version 166 and 170 run with them just as well as any
brand of DOS on a dedicated DOS computer. I'm thinking of trying
dosemu on my NetBSD or OpenBSD boxes now. I had a problem getting
things to work with my router, but I got that worked out. Dosemu
automatically loads it's own packet driver. DHCP kept giving my
ethernet card two IP addresses. My Linux had one, dosemu got one.
It works now I know that. I would like to get archn170 to work
with authsmtp tho. I've used the binary version of dosemu and I
can recommend that one for anyone, it's kinda kewl to instantly
switch back and forth between OSs. It works really well from the
console, but works in X too. Ctrl+Alt+F in X goes to fullscreen
and looks just like a native DOS. X is a little slower than in
the console which would be expected. I've used SuSE, but not a
big fan of it, it's geared towards enterprises migrating from
windo$e to Linux, so YMMV. If you want to try it, let me know
and I'll send you my '.dosemurc'.
Rob

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Sam Ewalt wrote:

The hard drives on both my DOS and XP computers died this past year
and I'm now running Open SuSe Linux. Is there any hope of getting
Arachne running with Open Suse?

I know that Arachne Linux originally was written with libraries that
were current in days gone by which may not be included in current
distros.

Words to the wise from the Linux gurus would be appreciated.

Sam Ewalt

        -----Pine Email on Slackware GNU/Linux-----

        -----Pine Email on Slackware GNU/Linux-----
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --