[arachne] Re: Arachne and Open Suse?

  • From: Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:31:47 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

I was waiting for you to pop in on the BSD/Linux stuff .
What took you so long ??  I was getting worried.....

Oh, I don't know. Sometimes I wait around to see what will be covered. If someone else addresses the issue at hand, I don't have to. ;-)

Plus, the whole utility and stability aspects of 'nix vs. Windows have been well covered over the years. Every new Windows "upgrade" brings a few more converts to Linux, but the distributions out there today are so simple / plug'n'play, there's very little need for install help anymore. What few issues do pop up are mostly asked and answered on those abominable web fora these days anyway. Even one of my old-time favorite newsgroups, alt.os.linux, has had fewer than 70 posts this month, some of which, coincidentally were about Sylpheed vs. other mail clients.

Over on glennmcc's AQCCC  the big BSD debate
has been going on for the last few days.  :-}

  Is that at http://glennmcc.dnsalias.org/aqccc/ ?
Just checked.  Offline.

 - Steve

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:28:41 -0700 (MST) Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011, Ron Clarke wrote:

I like Arachne because I'm familiar with it, having used it for
years
and I basically hate new software with thousands of feature I
don't
need.

 I am exactly the same. I find Sylpheed simple to configure and
customise.

   I've been using Pine for so many years, it's second nature.  I've
never
found a mail program I like better... though I did slog along with
Netscape 3.04 for a couple of years when I was still dual booting
DOS/Linux.

   I run Pine on FreeBSD, but access it through an xterm on Linux.
Any web
page links in e-mail can be "clicked" which open Midori running on
FreeBSD, displaying on Linux.  PDF attachments?  Open in xpdf on
FreeBSD,
but display on the X display in Linux.  I can watch a video running
on
FreeBSD from Linux, but I don't have any speakers on the FreeBSD
machine
so if I want to hear the video I copy it over to the Linux machine
and
play it there.
   There's a way to run the sound on FreeBSD and hear it out of the
Linux
connected speakers, but I haven't bothered to figure that out
(yet?).

   The "why" of it... (as I'm sure some might wonder) is that I can
leave
the low-powered Via C7 1.5 Ghz FreeBSD machine (<35 watts max)
running
24/7 with web server, mail server, news server, etc. and during
power
outages, I can shut the AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ Linux machine
down, and
run the "essential" stuff off UPS battery for much longer.

   I also have an Oregon Scientific weather station running:
http://wizard.dyndns.org/weather/ and a wireless webcam which works
when it feels like it.  I guess the wifi signal from the cam is
marginal
for passing through a refrigerator.
http://wizard.dyndns.org/

   All this *could* be run from a single computer... but hey,
multiple
machines just make it all the more fun, right?  '-)

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --