[arachne] Re: Arachne and Open Suse?

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:01:52 +1000

Hi Sam,

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:29:57 -0500 (EST), Sam Ewalt wrote:

> The hard drives on both my DOS and XP computers died this past year
> and I'm now running Open SuSe Linux. Is there any hope of getting
> Arachne running with Open Suse?

   Running, probably.  Functional to any degree - nope !

> I know that Arachne Linux originally was written with libraries that
> were current in days gone by which may not be included in current
> distros.

  That's part of it.

> Words to the wise from the Linux gurus would be appreciated.

  Unless or until a Linux programmer (or three) gets interested in
taking over the port to Linux, Arachne for Linux is proof of concept
only, and unuseable for more than a couple of minutes.

  The closest Linux browser to Arachne that I have found is Links
(graphical + SSL). Fast, graphics, some javascript, very configurable,
runs from CLI and in X.

Regards,
        Ron

Ron Clarke
AUSREG Consultancy      http://www.ausreg.com
Tadpole Tunes           http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://www.glennmcc.org/

DOS: For IQs higher than 95, 98 or 2000.