[HG-PBEM] Reality Bites [all back together]

  • From: "Dennis D. Kirkpatrick" <dkirkpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:52:03 -0600

[Dennis: OK, I went through and pieced things back together. I only
added "Terry said," or "She thoughts," that sorta stuff. Let me know if
anything is amiss. Hopefully, I got it right. ^_^ Otherwise, continue
the scene from the bottom.]

"I'm new to the team and am part of the sales and marketing staff.  In
effect I'll be representing the Redliners as a whole to the outside world.
 For example, if you wanted to arrange you getting shot at, I'm your
guy. Number of guys, size of the potato chucker, A-Team music...  We
can arrange all that." Terry grinned.

Chance laughed, loud enough that everyone in the room to looked
over at the pair.

"As for the pilots, they have as much ego range as actors do.  Vanity
isn't such a big deal because they're in a gear most of the time, but
most obsess over their machines too much.  If you want to compare
egos with the pilots, try Shamus.  He'll give you a good benchmark."

"Oh yeah, 'Fastlane', right? He was a big name out there when my dad
made the first 'Duellist' trid. I think he's one of the reasons the studio
was interested in the Redliners. What's he like in person? Have you
dealt with him?"

"I've only met him briefly." Terry nodded, "The best parallel I can
draw is that he's a meat 'n potatoes trucker with the ship anchor tattoo
on his bicep.  I'm betting with his longing for gear racing and his
comeback he'll be in the zone from the get go.  My instincts tell me
he'll be a good team leader too."

"He's an experienced racer," Chico responded. "That's all I really know
about him at this point. Other than the training simulations, the
Bulwark 1000 will be his first race."

"I've found him to be quite spirited myself," Clara followed on Chico's
remarks, "A real talent for the race course."

"One way to break the ice with any pilot," Terry followed Clara in turn,
"is to mention you've heard their gear before and talk about it and the
races they've been in by name.  Works all the time."

"Kinda like us trideo guys and our movies, right? Mention something
of ours you've seen and we'll drool all over you," Sebastian said,
grinning.

Chico smiled, holding up his glass of ale to Sebastian. "I guess you
could put it that way."

"Absolutely." Terry thought for a second, and then offered up an
idea. "You know, instead of talking about the team, how about we
head over to the Bulwark and watch them do their trials?" He took out
and glanced at his Palm, "Even if we rushed they'll have started by the
time we get there.  We can see them in action and I can introduce you
to everyone afterward.  I figure if we burn some rubber we may make
the first pit stop.  Whadday say?"

Clara coughed mildly in an attempt to shift the direction of the
conversation. "Unfortunately, the time trials aren't until tommorrow,
but, you know, that isn't a bad idea." She nodded at Chico, who
looked of concerned over something.  "Terry," she continued. "Why
don't you take Mr. Chance to watch the track runs this morning. Chico
and I can finish discussing things with Mr. and Miss Detzer."