[HG-PBEM] [OOC] Friendly advice

  • From: "S. Blow" <iranon_hpl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 20:17:07 -0700

Hey all,

Please trim your posts, people.  We're all getting multiple copies of
several K of text just because some folks are pushing the Reply button,
adding a witty comment or brief question at the top, and then sending the
whole thing out again without deleting anything.  If the "This message
brought to you by the HG-PBEM "OVERDRIVE" mailing list." .sig is layered
three deep like a few of today's messages, it's a sure sign than sloppiness
has occured.

Some people have mailboxes that are limited in size, others (like myself)
have modem connections instead of broadband and must pay phone charges *by
the minute* for online access time.  Please trim your posts.  You only need
to include enough quoted text to provide a certain amount of context.  For a
good example of somebody that's doing this RIGHT (although he's not the only
one), look at Dennis' posts.  The relevant info (i.e., the stuff that's
being affected by his newest post) is included, the unnecessary stuff is
trimmed away.  Also, when it comes to OOC posts, first think to yourself "Is
what I have to say worthwhile reading for EVERYONE on this list?"  Direct
mail is always an option.

Thank you.  I hate to be all fascist and meany-faced about this kind of
thing, but the situation has gotten considerably worse lately.

...And anyone who replies to this e-mail, quotes the whole dang thing, and
responds with something like a "Me too" or "I agree" IS A DEAD MAN. ;)

Scott