[HG-PBEM] Deeeeeeep thoughts, was Re: Pop goes the meeting

  • From: David Kelk <dakelk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 22:58:59 -0400

>>"Xavier crossed a line," the Colonel answered back. "The desert winds are
>>shifting. Things in the Core are changing. I can assure you of that. I
>>made a promise to you in contract, and I intend to keep that promise." His
>>gaze scanned everyone on the hangar. "I need you all to trust me over the
>>next few weeks."

Keavy snapped her gum again.  The incident in the bar and the stories that
the crew was telling of meetings with the Bishop began to worry her.  She
was used to conflicts on the track but this seemed to be a different and
more dangerous game altogether.  She stole a quick glance over at Terry
trying to read his reaction.  He was always better than her at reading
people and had a sensible head atop his broad shoulders.

Terry's head was bent forward and lazily fell to one side.  Tina was
standing
in front of him and he was looking at her calf - through it actually with an
unfocused gase.  He closed his eyes for a few seconds and mouthed some
noiseless words before twitching involuntarily.  His right had opened and
closed a
few times.  Keavy knows he's a leftie, but prefers to shoot right for some
reason.
He's worried.

"How could you go after Xavier and his cronies without money?" Terry asked.

>>The Colonel settled into the team's commentary. "I want to move on from
>>the setbacks of the past days, weeks and months," he declared. He looked
>>at Chico and his wife. "To that end, dear?"
>>
>>Jezebel looked at Chico then addressed the team. "As some of you may know,
>>we have an opportunity to secure a significant revenue stream from a
>>prominent trideo studio in Port Oasis. If we can land the contract, the
>>Redliner's will be able to meet its revenue demands and pay you the
>>seasonal salaries that you are expecting." Her eyes fell on Terry. "Terry,
>>you and Chico are scheduled tommorrow morning to meet with the studio
>>agents and the trideo star that want to strike the deal.

"Who is the star?" Keavy asked, her mood brightening considerably.  Now the
conversation was moving into territory that she was familiar, and more
comfortable, with.  "And what do they want with the Redliners?"

>>Chico spoke up. "I also want Clara to attend that meeting as well. I
>>believe that her skill with numbers will be important. Those Port Oasis
>>lawyers will try to bleed us like a hunter vine."
>>
>>"That's fine by me," Clara answered.
>>
>>"Good, very good," the Colonel affirmed. "This is really important." He
>>gestured to the array of Gears filling the hangar. "Our Gears are ready
>>for the time trials scheduled in a couple days, but we need more cash to
>>secure the spare parts necessary for repairs and maintenance in the actual
>>race." His eyes fell on Rohgen. "This will be your chief task, Rohgen.
>>Your resume claims that you are an excellent salvage expert and capable of
>>improvising. With the few spares that we have on hand, Hanna and her pit
>>team should be able to handle the time trials if any issues arise, so
>>you'll need to go and deal with the Trash Queen and secure us what we'll
>>need for the race."
>>
>>[...]
>>Dennis D. Kirkpatrick
>>Littleton, CO USA