[antispam-f] Re: Broken pipe in lists

  • From: Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 07:46:18 +0000 (GMT)

On 28 Dec, Dave Barnett <as10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In a recent message           Steven Pampling
> <steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On 26 Dec, Dave Barnett <as10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I had thought that that would be a good idea but a bit difficult to
> >> pick the best targets and they move quickly.  The Spamhaus lists are
> >> an excellent way of confirming suspicions, thanks for the links.

> > What is needed is a bit of code to put queries to the Spamhaus DBL and
> > XBL zones and look for returns of 127.0.0.x

> I suspect that there may be a problem with access as Spamhaus is a
> commercial operation.

No it isn't.
Spamhaus charges organisations for the rsync[1] access to their zone
records.
However utilities like RBLcheck will look up single (or small multiples of)
IP addresses in the spamhaus sbl, xbl or even sbl-xbl combined lists and
for private use like that it is free.

I think rblcheck might be portable. (Could you tell I'd been looking?) :-)

> The 127.0.0.x suggestion is interesting.  I'll look out for it in the

[1] A common Unix tool for replicating sets of data that is probably
familiar to people round here that have trawled through the software set
produced by David Pilling.

--

Steve Pampling