[analogorgans] Re: The Quiet List

  • From: "Thomas W. Nelson" <twn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:26:42 -0400

Jean Moquin wrote:

>Hello Tom,
>
>           What exactly are you doing with the 34A?....

To start with, the 34A is a very old model, with Klann keyslide
keyboards, Reisner coupler relays for the manuals, and primitive pedal
diode coupler circuitry.  I'm gutting and refinishing the console, which
is generally in good shape other than the usual dings and finish
problems for something of this age.  The nice solid wood 3-manual
console is the main reason I bought it.  I got it fairly cheap since the
electronics were shot.

I'm planning on rebuilding the original main and flute oscillator racks
(bad caps, mainly), but the original swell division will be replaced
with the main and flute racks from a Trilogy/325 (donated but not used
because it's not AGO-spec) to expand its voicing and range.  I hope to
be obtaining a 35-series keyer rack shortly which will have the diode
keyers and, more importantly, the coupler current amps I need to tie
everything together.  I may also be able to obtain a set of pedal
oscillators and voicing boards from a 35 to really fill out the pedal
division, but I may end up using the Trilogy mains with some 33E voicing
boards I bought recently to add a nice 16' reed and string.

The console will keep its original Klann 'clunker' combination action
for now, though, since it works fine and I have lots of spare parts from
an almost identical unit that was in my Conn 825.  The jury is still out
on whether I'm going to rebuild and add contacts to the old keyboards,
or attempt to transplant the Trilogy's newer keyboards, which will
require either new side brackets or cheek block panels.  The same is
true for the pedals - I may add reed switch-type contacts to replace the
original blocks on the existing pedal board unless I can find an
appropriate pedal board and reed switch panel from a newer Rodgers.

Since all this clearly won't fit in the original console, especially
since it has the extended keyshelf for the older keyboards, I'm planning
on installing the majority of the electronics in a separate box.  That
will also make it easier to transport and fit through various doorways,
since this organ is primarily intended for use with our local symphony
and choral group.

Quite a project I've gotten myself into, something like creating a pipe
organ from several donor instruments.

Tom Nelson
Milford, NH