[amstereo-dmf] Re: Verry OT: Recording of Today Show anyone ??

  • From: David Mitchell <davidm44509@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amstereo-dmf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:24:58 -0500

I can record samples of hd shows for you in HD but I don't have a DVD
recorder yet that records on a blu ray disc. I can record samples for you to
download though. The uncompressed format is in .ts (transport stream) which
can be watched using a program like VLC or I can encode to xvid avi or

However, HD recordings are very large in file size. For example, when I
recorded a one hour episode of "Desperate Housewives" in HD, the file size
was 8.5 GB. After editing out commercials, the file size was 4.8 GB.
Converting to xvid reduced the file to 350 MB and converting to wmv-hd with
Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound audio reduced it to 1.6 GB. When comparing,
I couldn't tell much difference between the uncompressed .ts and the wmv-hd.

Dave in OH