[amc] participants in Christian history study

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 12:09:04 -0500

In the episode we recently considered, there was concern expressed by
19th-century religious leaders that only 40% of the British population
currently attended church.  Despite building more building the grouping of
persons who disassociated themselves with organized Christianity continued
to increase, not only in the United Kingdom but also in other parts of the
modernized world.  One major influence which fostered this indifference to
the established church was scientific evidence which disputed many things
Christians had believed the Bible told them about the historical formation
of the world and the universe.  Persons found it difficult, even impossible,
to believe explanations which their ancestors had for centuries taken as
infallible truth.  Finding itself at a crossroads, the church found that it,
too, would have to probe the mysteries of creation.  A new approach to
biblical interpretation arose which continues to redefine the Christian
church.  Next Sunday we will examine this development in the segment, "The
roots of disbelief."