[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:05:48 -0500

I pray you are finding refreshment as you continue your journey of faith.

Whenever we initiate a project or prepare for some special occasion, our
efforts are closely associated with certain expectations.  Expectations
naturally accompany every action we take-there is always something we are
trying to accomplish.  And whenever we carefully take into consideration all
precautions necessary for attaining our objectives, our confidence in the
ultimate success of our project increases.  So whenever some unpredictable
presence or latent deficiency frustrates our plan and prevents the results
for which we have labored, we become unsettled and disappointed.  All of us
have participated in this kind of experience.  The scriptures represent this
kind of phenomenon as characteristic of God's assessment of the condition of
creation:  the divine creator is annoyed with the unnatural nature of
things.  How have human behaviors distorted God's plan and what can be done
about this serious deviation?  How does Jesus as the Christ engage this
perversion to redeem the creation and thus to rectify the disturbance so
that God's expectation shall be fulfilled?  These thoughts will compose the
sermon for this next Sunday, "Human beings are most likely not God."